Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I promise I'm really back this time..

Wow, so time flies, again. It's been a busy week with finals and report cards and just plain old life. So here I am again..and I PROMISE to be back much more frequently. Just a few things. First of all when I started this blog I was unsure of where it was going and if it should be focused on just one issue or a personal blog. It seemed to go in the direction of focusing on lesbian/women. However, I am made the final decision to make is just a simple personal blog. I know that I will have much more to write about....and I hope that I am as interesting as some of the stuff I have already written.. :-) So, I am glad that's out of the way....you will now be getting some pretty frequent updates on my life hahaha.



There have been a few issues on my mind lately...mostly stemmed from watching TV or just social issues in general. First I want to talk about marriage vs. commitment. Now, growing up, I just assumed one day I would get married, have kids, life in a small community and yada yada yada you get the rest. However, now that I have begun to grow up, and discover a lot about myself some of those predictions have faded. Being in a same sex relationship, I cannot take marriage for granted, and have looked at making commitments in a different way. Now, I can also attribute a lot of this thinking to my lovely girlfriend LWB, who has been way ahead of everyone else, and very kindly educates me on these issues (thank you LWB!). So here is my latest rant and rave...

;WB and I were watching Desperate Housewives this past Sunday. Now, for all of you that have not watched, this will spoil a small amount of the episode. Anyways, Kathrine and Mike have been dating for a while, and Katherine bribed MJ (Mike's son) so ask him why he and Kathrine are not married yet, and if he is going to ask her to marry him. Mike just avoids the subject and just says that he really loves her and she is fantastic, but does not answer the marriage questions. Towards the end of the episode Kathrine brings up this issue to Mike. Now, Mike had been married to Susan, and they ended up getting a divorce. As Katherine asks Mike why he does not want to get married, Mike responds that he loves Kathrine very much and is committed to her, he just does not want to get married. Now, to me, this makes perfect sense. Mike was married once, got divorced, and does not see marriage as a necessity but is committing to Kathrine. He has no plans to break up with her. Katherine on the other hand gets very upset, and assumes that this means her and Mike have no future. She gets mad and does not understand how Mike could want to be with her, but have no plan of getting married. Now, personally I feel as though this is probably why a lot of marriages end up in divorce. Some people just do not want to get married, but that doesn't mean they are not committed to each other. Just because some people feel as though marriage is not for them, does not mean they will not spend the rest of their life in a wonderful, committed relationship.

Just some food for thought....Thanks for reading, and I promise I am baaaackkk! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment