Sunday, February 1, 2009

Straight Until Proven Gay

Why does everyone feel like it's so imperative to know whether or not someone is gay. We don't walk up to people and immediately ask, oh are you straight?? I can understand if there are certain situations where it important to know what a persons sexuality is, for example, if you are trying to sleep with someone, or hit on someone.

However in the workplace, why do people feel like they have the right to know about someone's sexuality? Since when do we base our friendships on who our friends sleep with? Sexuality should play such a small role in deciding whether or not we could be friends with someone. The reason I think that this is on my mind is because some of my colleges who I work closely with, and who I socialize with at work, do not know that I am in a same-sex relationship. Not that it is a big deal whether or not they know, but sometimes I feel like I should just come out and say it so I can talk about how great my relationship is, or ask about romantic getaways in our area. However, I just do not feel comfortable yet, and I hate that I am not comfortable with it. I mean what is the worst that is going to happen; they don't like me anymore. If that is the case, then I shouldn't waste my time becoming friends with them. If they don't like who I am, then we wouldn't make great friends anyways. I also don't think I really have anything that is stopping me from just speaking up. The people at work who do know, are so great and accepting, they don't think twice about it. I am able to talk about my relationship and what we did over the weekend together. It feels great to be open about it. I mean why not be open about one of the most important people in my life?!?! So right now I am setting a goal for myself. I am going to stop trying to second guess what people are going to think of me. My relationship is one of the most important things to me, and I am not going to keep it a secret. It feels so much better when people know.

No comments:

Post a Comment